YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, April 19, 2020

WEEK 43.............IT REALLY IS!


Last week, I titled my update 'Week 42" and then went back and changed it to 'Week 41".  I should have gone with my first instinct as, last week truly was week 42 for those of us that go from July 1 until June 30.  So, today is actually week 43 for us  That means, there are only 9 weeks left before we start a new YOP.  The next YOP will be year 10.  To think I have been blogging about my crafting for 10 years is unbelievable.  In full disclosure, this blog has been up and running since February 27, 2007.  Way back then, this blog was meant to be about my journey of crafting as a left handed person in a right handed world.  The only change I have made is, finding other like minded people with which to share my writing with.

So, let's talk about my crafting this week.

Monday, I cast on a pair of socks for my hubby. (I know, he is such a lucky guy).  The yarn is Gluttony Sock Yarn from Leading Man Fiber in the colorway Butterbeer.  I had no real pattern in mind for the socks.  By Tuesday, I had the toes of both socks completed and needed to make a decision as to a pattern.  I decided to just 'wing' it.


These are the socks as of this morning.  I chose to do a K3 P1 through out the entire sock.  I am even doing the ribbing on the sole of the foot.  Hubby likes his socks to 'hug' his feet.  Since these are 80% SW Merino and 20% nylon, I wanted to make them where they would expand and contract with his foot.  The yarn is not the softest merino I have ever felt, but seems to be softening up a bit as I work with it.  It feels like it will wear quite well too.  Yes, I am back on my DPN's.  I love working socks this way.  Confession........I started them on magic loop to get the toes going.  Doing that part on DPN's had me all sorts of mixed up.  Once the toes had about 4 rows on them, I transferred them to DPN's.

Tuesday evening, I succumbed to startitis and cast on another project.  This time a shawl.  Tell me you are shocked.  Shawls are my utmost favorite thing to make.  On Thursday, I frogged the entire shawl and started it again.  It has a lace pattern for the first 84 rows and counting is REQUIRED.  I learned to ignore my phone, the TV and any other distraction while doing those 84 rows.  


By dinner time, last night, I had completed the 84 rows of lace.  It is very hard to see the pattern but it will pop once I complete the shawl and block it out.  This is Diva Fingering weight yarn from Leading Men Fiber Arts in the colorway Spring Thaw.  It is 80% SW Merino and 20% silk.  The fiber is so soft and scrunchy.  I look forward to wearing this shawl and pray my skin does not have a reaction to the wool in it.   

After dinner I started the next section of the shawl.


Short rows all in garter stitch.  There will be three sections for the short rows and then it will have another lace section at the top of the shawl.  The pattern is Boneset and I purchased it from the same place I got the yarn.  The short row section is the perfect TV viewing knit.  Another confession, this is the first time I have ever done a W&T.  When I hit section 2 I will let you know if I have mastered it yet or not.

The 'speckles' on this yarn make it quite 'busy'.  I am hoping once it is completed and blocked, it will settle down a bit.  I have stretched it by hand and it does quiet down a bit when I do that.  The colors in it are all the colors I wear which is why I chose it.  This way I can wear it with anything.

I did do a small amount of knitting on my feather and fan shawl but since you have seen photos of that each week, just imagine it with another 2 pattern repeats on it.

That is all the crafting for this week.  Otherwise, all I did was laundry, baking more banana bread (this time with chocolate chips in it), baking our regular bread, ran to the grocery store once, made out menus, bought a new TV (our old one died), and read books.  This coming week is about the same other than tomorrow.  I take my car to the dealership for it's scheduled maintenance.  Maybe I will take my camera with me as the dealership is out in the middle of nowhere.  Hopefully the desert will be in bloom and I can get some lovely shots of the flowers.  (Not to mention the exercise would do me a world of good).

In about 60 minutes hubby and I will be tuning into our parish to watch Mass.  I think this is the one thing that is the hardest for us.  We love going to church and being with our community of believers.  We will be there again, someday.

The other thing that is becoming quite hard for me................I need a haircut so bad.  I am starting to look like this:

Pin on Hair style

when in reality I am supposed to have my hair like this:

Pin on Hair possibilities

(disclaimer: neither of these photos are of me)  So, I wonder if this stay at home stuff will bring the mullet back into fashion?  All I know for sure is............I hate my hair touching the back of my neck.  Hubby's razor is looking more and more appealing each day.  I have trimmed my bangs once. (thankfully I had a stylist show me how to do a fringed bang a few years ago)  It has been 2 months since my last cut.  Normally I go ever 3-4 weeks.  With our weather reaching into the high 90's this coming week, I am thinking of my hubby's razor even more.

How is your 'stay at home' going? Anything you truly are missing yet?  Our church's music director put this out today.  I think it is something I may need to print out and hang up.



Until Next Time...................Happy Crafting & Stay Well!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS:  Becki, I promised you the URL for Stefanie's blog.  This is a great blog about knitting and card making.  Stef is extremely talented and also gives great advice about books she has read.  Here is the Link

TTYL

8 comments:

  1. Uh oh! I goofed....I had it as week 42~ I hope I'm not the one that messed you up? I love those socks and that yarn. I should try toe-up again. I didn't care for it the first time but it is so nice if you think you might be short on yarn.
    Your new shawl is exquisite! The yarn is so pretty! You did 84 rows in one day? You are amazing!
    I hope you get some pictures of the desert tomorrow! I've been watching the church service from the church next to my hometown. It's the Methodist Church and she does it from her home. Today she had her son helping and he was so cute! I don't miss anything except being able to run to the store when I need something that I forgot and not being able to get the same things I do when I go in and shop. ButI'mgood and can't complain.
    I love what your music director wrote! I need to copy that....I follow most o fit but it would be nice to have a reminder. Tell him thank you!
    I have been wondering what happened to Stefanie. It seemed every time I would follow her she would change her blog...I see it has
    changed again! LOL! I can't keep up with that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. I have it as week 42....I am so confused. Never mind....a rose by any other name right? Love the sock yarn, and your hubby is lucky to have you knitting so diligently for him. I missed the yopper zoom date - slept in. I hope to catch up next time. I like the list and will adopt a version of it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a modern mullet hairstyle going around. I love, love Edo Salon's Bohemian cut, but it's at least a $100. My husband is liking my longer hair which is an A-line bob. I'm debating on whether to go back to layers or maybe get some curtain/Bridget Bardot bangs and light layers down the front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty pretty socks! he is one lucky guy. I am forever grateful to my hairstylist who pressured me to grow my bangs out. I am fine without a hair cut for quite some time. I just look a little limpy. Hang in there! This stay at home business is getting to be quite long....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I started blogging the same year. I didn't have any purpose to my blogging except that it served as a creative outlet when my kiddos were younger. I slowly got back into crocheting and found you YOPpers on Ravelry. I think this is my 5th year at YOPing. Thank you for posting a link to Stefanie. I'm so glad I've found her again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great socks! I had Butterbeer at HP World, it was disgusting! It looks so good in the movies, just too sweet. Yes, I have the desire to cast on ALL THE SHAWLS!!!!!

    Can't wait to see the new one....

    I am doing well with this social distancing. My husband runs all the errands, as I have to be online for school from 8-3...not always on, but at least available. I meet with my kids twice a day and my team about once a day and administration once or twice a week.

    But I run out once a week to deliver eggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your music director's checklist! The socks for your (lucky) husband look great, and your lacy shawl is off to a great start. Have a great crafty week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just noticed on Becki’s blogspot blog that my comments the previous weeks weren’t showing and so I have been checking back on other blogspot blogs to see if my comments are there...and most aren’t. I think this happens when I open blogs in Safari app rather than Chrome. However, this one I seemed to have not read! I’m not sure why I missed it but I’m glad I just found it as your checklist is great and I’m going to copy that idea. I hope these comments ‘stick’.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.