YOP LIST 2023-2024

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May Crowning

Yesterday, our local Grand invited me to come to the school Mass for the annual:

Image result for may crowning of mary

I have never been to the May Crowning of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Oh my........There were tears though out the majority of the Mass.  The 8th graders are the ones that do all the Bible readings, prayers, presenting of the gifts, presenting flowers and of course the actual placing of the crown of flowers on the statue of Mary.  

Image result for may crowning virgin mary


The music was especially beautiful too.  I have known most of the 8th graders since they were in kindergarten.  In less than 2 weeks they will be graduating and heading off to high schools throughout the metroplex.  I am just an old softy.

If I thought this year was tough.......next year will be the toughest.  Our Grand, Josie, will be an 8th grader.  She is one of the few in her class that was in the first pre-k class at this school and has stayed there all the way through 8th grade.  I think there might be a total of 3 or 4 in her class, also achieving this.  I know all 28 of her classmates.  It has been a joy watching them grow and mature over the years.


In other news.................................I finished dishcloth # 8 today.  They are packaged and will be mailed tomorrow.  Here is a picture of the last 4 I did in the past couple of days.

The two colored one is called Clover Tweed Dishcloth .  It as super easy to do and I completed it in just a few hours.   There is enough leftover yarn for another 3-4 dishcloths.  For now, I am done with them and have turned my attention back to my Tadpole socks. They have been ignored for too long and need to get done and off the needles.

On the subject of my religious beliefs:

For those of you who are wondering or think they know..............the answer is NO!  We do not worship Mary.  We do honor her for being the Mother of Jesus.  We do not place her on the same level as God.  We venerate and love her for saying 'yes' to God.

And for those that think we worship idols or statues...............also false.  It is no different than you having photos of your loved ones in your home or in your wallet or in a photo album or on your phone. The statues, in our churches, are reminders of someone we love.  

If you have questions about my Roman Catholic faith...........please feel free to ask in the comment section.  I will be happy to answer all questions in another blog post.  I was not always Catholic, so am well aware of many things that are misconstrued.

Until next time..................happy crafting!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I've not heard about the May Crowning before, but it sounds like a lovely service. I must ask my daughter about it, as she is Catholic. How nice you get to be a part of the grands growing like that. Nice washcloths. Will take a look at the pattern link you left. Looking at the picture assume it's a slip stitch color work thing? Also really like the texture in the solid color cloths, what stitch did you use for those?

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful event and so wonderful that you were able to attend and know so many of the children.
    I'm not catholic but my step-father and his family were. It was funny because when my mother and father married it was not popular in either family....he was Italian catholic and she was Irish protestant and divorced. So, I was raised protestant but I'm familiar with both. It could get confusing though because the Italians were very sad and emotional at funerals while my Irish relatives laughed and recalled the good times with the deceased.
    Did you know Yarn Hoarder has a KAL for dishcloths? I haven't posted mine on there yet either. I love the tweed one. I've never seen one like that and it looks difficult but I believe you when you say it's easy. I have to get back to socks too especially with the grands coming to stay. I have to have something vanilla to knit on. I may have to cast on a lot of socks! They'll be here for 2 weeks! I can't wait! Have a great day! It's storming here today...very Hygge with candles and coziness. Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marsha :) Your dish clothes look great! I love the colours you chose. :)

    You and I have very different faiths, no matter to me though, I think that faith in every form is wonderful as long as it doesn't encourage violence and hatred. I think that every faith has their misconceptions. Some people think that because I'm a Pagan, that I worship Satan and run around trying to conjure up evil spells...silly. I just love Nature and live by the seasons, I respect my Celtic background and live in harmony with the Earth. You taught me something though, I'd never heard of the May Crowning, it sounds lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fortunate for a time to have a very good friend who is Catholic and who enjoyed discussing religion with me. I still consider her a good friend, but we don't spend as much time together in recent years. But I loved our discussions and came to appreciate that we protestants have misconceptions about Catholics (and vice versa). Some misconceptions got cleared up, and others... Well, I guess I finally grew comfortable with the idea that I don't have to understand everything. I've never heard of May Crowning, either. Thank you for sharing about it.

    I've also never seen that dishcloth before (well, except for here on your blog), but you finally convinced me to favorite it on Ravelry and decide that I need to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit behind in catching up but I wanted to say that my best friend was a Catholic and I enjoyed learning so much about her faith when were were younger. I never say or heard of the May crowning. I grew up in a missionary Baptist family, Southern Eastern US, and they didn't understand or want to understand other religions especially ones so different from their own. I enjoyed the process of praying and recognizing Mary, as woman and as an important part of the religion as a whole. It sounds like a very positive and feminine celebration. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it with the children!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.