YOP LIST 2023-2024

Wednesday, August 9, 2017


Another mid-week update and I am sad to say, I have not completed hardly anything I wanted to get done this past week.  It is amazing how I can write down everything I need/want to accomplish in a day and then there is a phone call that completely throws my plans out the window.  Yup, that is exactly what happened this week.  I got a call on Tuesday, asking me to pick up Grammie and the Grand to take them shopping for school uniform shorts.  Seems the Grand did not try them on like she was asked and therefore, none of them fit her, save 1 pair.  Off to VF outlet we went only to find out, their's did not fit her at all.  We then headed off to Target.................SUCCESS!  We also found 2 pair of jean shorts she can wear to school on jean day.  The jean shorts need to be fingertip length for school.  If you have not been looking at girls shorts, let me tell you.....................they have an inseam of MAYBE 2 inches!  Neither my son or daughter in law allow her to dress in shorts like that.  Hence the reason I normally go and buy her jeans at the thrift store and cut them off and hem them.  Anyway, she is not all set for school.  I even got her new socks yesterday since her others are too small.  Kids..............they think, if it is in their drawer/closet it fits!

Speaking of thrift stores.  I showed you pictures of the flooding I had in our backyard.  Well, that is nothing compared to our GoodWill that is just 1/4 mile away from our house.  Their roof collapsed!  So they are closed for a while for repairs.  Or I hope they are going to repair it.  All the other thrift stores in my area have closed!  Although, we did get a new Ross open close to us, so that helps a bit.  Our neighborhood has really changed over the past 30 years.  It has been interesting to watch it too.  When we moved in, it was very much a family area.  Then after our kids hit high school, it was more middle aged empty nesters.  It is now either retired folks like us, or families with young children.  Not much in between.  I love our neighborhood, though.  We had thought about moving, but I so enjoy the area and the people I could not even think about starting over again somewhere else in the city.

Anyway, back to my grand plans of cleaning out and discarding many things that are cluttering up our Arizona room.  It was going to be a surprise for my hubby when he came home.  We still need to paint walls and lay the flooring the room, but there is no way we can do that with all the stuff that has accumulated back there for the past few years.  A lot of it is stuff from my mom's place that I saved because I thought she might want some of it.  Nope, she has not asked for one thing I saved for her.  She has asked for many things that are long gone though......go figure.

I still have a few hours before hubby arrives home, but today is when I wanted to surprise him and have all household chores completed so he could just relax for the next week.  I will say, I have managed to tackle a few of those chores each day so there isn't that much left to complete.  It is hard when you have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath 2500 square foot home, to do it all alone.  My arthritis has not been playing well either, which makes it even a bit more cumbersome.  BUT...................I will and I can do this!

Grammie is leaving today.  Our grand is very sad that she has to go too.  The good news is....Grammie will be back the first of December and will be spending 3 months here.  I told the Grand, we need to plan some outings for the 3 of us to do.  I am hoping that will give her a focus on the future and not on the present.  Finger crossed on that one.

While Grammie was here she completed a blanket that Grand Daughter had started about 3 years ago and was not having much luck with.  I got it last night and I added a crochet border to it.  I will have photos of it this weekend in my YOP update.  It will be heading to Hannah's House, along with another blanket Grammie had completed and brought down with her.

I  have been working on the Log Cabin square...............still.  I have changed colors and am now into the turquoise.  My hope, is to have this square completed in the next 2 weeks.  If that happens, then I know it takes 3 weeks to complete one square.  That means, I will need 9 weeks to complete the other 3 and then I need to assemble it and do a border.  So I am looking at about 12 weeks or 3 months to complete this blanket. Looks like it is going to be given as a Christmas gift and not a Birthday gift.  Good thing I was not planning on doing a homemade Christmas this year!

Today, I am going to make another loaf of gluten free bread in my bread machine.  Since hubby is coming home today, I thought it would be nice for him to have some fresh bread as a welcome home gift.  Hopefully, this one will turn out a bit more lofty than the last one.  Kneading time is being cut down considerably this time and that should help.  At least the flavor is good.  I also have 3 very ripe bananas and will probably make banana bread today or tomorrow too.  I am also making that gluten free and it is quite yummy.

I just finished watering all our plants in our front yard.  We have desert landscaping but..........our flowering bushes still need a bit more water than what the good Lord gives us. We have artificial grass in our back yard, so no watering needed there.  Neither hubby or I are big on yard work, so our yard is perfect for us.

I received a phone call from my mom yesterday.  Her brother is turning 100 this month and wanted a card to send to him.  I was going to buy a card for him and decided to make one instead.  I have the Hallmark Studio on my PC and love it.  I went searching and sure enough, they had a lot of 100 year old birthday cards!  Mission accomplished!

The other phone call that happened yesterday................I contacted my friend, Bev's, husband to see how her Doctor's appointment went yesterday.  The tumors in her brain are growing and the Doctor gave orders to place her on Hospice.  I knew it was coming, but I was not quite as prepared for the news as I thought I would be.  I talked to her husband for about 20 minutes and he seemed to be more accepting than I thought he might be.  I had told my husband, last Christmas, I did not think we would have her for another Christmas.  I am hoping we will have 1 more with her, but things are not looking hopeful at this point.  I will call her husband again tonight and see what the Hospice nurse told him.  He did tell me the Doctor thought it would be a good idea if she was placed in the Hospice in house unit right away.  I don't know if that is to give him some respite or if the Doctor thinks she is that close to death.  Either way, I will visit her where ever she is.  She is not talking at this point and she no longer can use her legs.  The blessing is.................she is not in any pain.  We are praying, the lesions on the brain are blocking her pain center and therefore she will not suffer.

Laundry is done, bread making ingredients sitting out to get to room temperature, watering done, birthday card done, dogs fed, kitchen cleaned and polished, and I am ready to tackle the cleaning of the rest of the house.

Until next time..................happy crafting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  1. That's so unnerving about your friend Bev. We all hope that we can take good care of ourselves, eat well, enjoy life...and it can be taken away so quickly. The idea of a doctor saying "time for hospice" is a scary one. I'm so happy to hear she is not in pain. So sorry Marsha.

    Otherwise, my gosh you are keeping busy!

  2. Marsha, I'm so sorry, it must be so hard to see your friend fade away like that. I hope she can pass peacefully when her time comes.

    You have been so busy, I'm getting tired just reading all the things you did. Our house is much smaller and I still feel work is never ever done, I can't imagine living in a larger house like yours, I would be cleaning and tidying forever and a day. ;-)

  3. Wow! How do you do it all and with that huge house! Mine is fairly large too (too large for my taste) 3200 sq feet with 2 full baths and a big yard to take care of and a full basement and an "Arkansas" room...lol! I wish I had your energy! You get more done in one day than I get done in a week and if I have errands to do I am toast after that so I plan them later in the day. I used to have lots of energy and I do when I get up but it fades sooner than it used to. LOL! I do pretty well though and try to balance my activities but the outside work in the heat is really not enjoyable and I used to love being and working outside but here it is too hot. I will try and get most done in the Fall. I'm so glad you and your neighborhood are okay as they showed the flooding etc. on the news and it was bad. So glad your husband gets home today....I'm sure you will both be glad...there's no place like home. Was he able to convince his Mother? I hope so for your sakes. It must be so nice to have a granddaughter and have her so close....you are a great grandmother too....she is very fortunate! I hope you get everything done you want to today. Hugs ~ Sam
    P.S. I will say prayers for your friend and for those who are struggling to let go....it is never easy for anyone....patient or loved ones left behind.


Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.