YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Week 29 and Life in General


 


I have lots of pictures to post as well as stories to go with each one.  So if you are in a hurry, you might want to come back when you have some time.  Otherwise, grab your favorite beverage and a snack and let's get to it.

First up:


I completed sock one of the Hermione Socks.  This is such a great pattern to work when under a bit of stress.  Easy to memorize and if you make a mistake, it seldom shows.  


Sock 2 got started Thursday night but didn't see much love until yesterday.  It has been just a bit busy around here.

That is it for crafting.  Next will be about my life in week 29 of Year 7.

As you know, MIL (mother in law) had a stroke on New Year's Eve.  She finally got released from the hospital on the 11th and was placed in a skilled nursing facility for rehabilitation.  So far she has tried to get out of bed by herself, twice, which resulted in falls. (She is unable to stand or walk at this time.)  Luckily, she has a thick foam mat by her bed and is only 6 inches off the ground.  Last night, she was by the nursing station because of irritability, and fell out of her wheelchair and had to go to the Emergency Room for CT scans. (She is fine)  According to new Federal Guidelines, facilities can no longer use rails on beds or ties to help keep people from falling out of their chairs.  That is considered restraining the patient.  They can use it in a hospital but not a nursing facility.  I wonder how long before a law suit is brought to the federal government because of serious injury or death from this brand new ruling?  So, I have about 4 hours of sleep under my belt and a full day ahead of me.  

We have had some fun this week though.


This was dinner time one night this week.  Looks like a feeding frenzy in my kitchen.  Hubby is in the blue shirt, Brother in Law in the hat, Sister in Law facing the camera and the other two are my nieces from the dude in the hat.

See those pink roses?  Son in Law brought them over on Monday.  They lasted until this morning.  They were gorgeous though.  I am now flowerless for the first time in 3 weeks.


This is the crew out to dinner one night.  We had such a great time talking and laughing.  It really helped with all the negativity that was going on.


I don't normally like any photos of myself, but SIL managed to get a pretty good shot of my hubby and I.  This man has been my rock these past weeks.  


I was finally able to bring my mom home yesterday.  I still don't have any death certificates.  Hopefully they will be ready next week.  The urn will remain on my mantle until around Easter.  Then we will travel back to Kansas to have her service and internment.  I am in love with this urn.  It is so my mom.  Just getting her ashes has helped me so much.  I am much calmer now.  Thinking of her in cold storage for 2 weeks was making me nuts.  She hated the cold.  I know she could not feel it, but it still bothered me.  The Medical Examiners office even called me to apologize about the length of time it took them to review her medical records.  They did change her cause of death though.  It was complications from her pelvic fractures.  Most probably some type of embolism (Per the private conversation with the Medical Examiner)


Journaling has been my saving grace these past two weeks.  I keep my to do list in here as well as writing about my feelings.  I love checking off all the things I accomplish each day.  If they are not competed, it goes on the next day.  It is just a super simple layout, but works so well for me.  I set it up each night before bed so I don't have to think too hard in the morning.  My SIL has a journal too and carries it everywhere with her.  She loved my reading journal and thinks she might start multiple journals for different areas of her life too.

The internal Christmas decorations came down on Wednesday.  I am never that late getting them put away.  Our tradition is to take them down on Epiphany (January 6).  Hubby pulled the yard art that day too but........................we still have lights out front (even though they are not coming on anymore).  Our goal is to get them put away this week.  

I get my blood work done this week again.  Praying my liver functions are back to normal so I can get back on my anti-inflammatories.  They were not the drug that messed up my liver functions but I had to stay off everything to give the liver time to regenerate.  RA is not a fun thing to deal with when you are not allowed any medicines to help with the pain or progression of the disease.  I have been drug free since the first of December.  (That sounded weird LOL)  With all that has happened in the past 6 weeks, I am lucky I haven't been totally knocked out of daily living.  There has not been any adult beverages during this time period either.  My hubby says I come from strong stock and that's why I don't let my RA get the best of me.  (See?  He is my rock)

That covers my life this past week.  Next week will see me working on a sock and visiting my MIL a few times.  We are hoping they can get her strong enough to transfer her back to Nevada in a couple of weeks.  We already know she will never be independent again.  She is getting an hour of therapy 5 times a week.  She really tries hard to do all they ask.  Her upper body is doing pretty good but the right leg has a mind of its own.   She is still on pureed food also and that will need to change before she can get to the next level of living arrangements.  Her speech is getting better but still needs some work.  I can now understand her about 40% of the time.  She is 90 and 1/2 years old.  (Seems when you hit 90 the half years become as important as they were when you were a child LOL.)  We ave nick named her Spark Plug.  Sparky for short.  She is bound and determined she is going to escape and go home. Those nurses will be given a run for their money with her.

Until next time.............Happy Crafting!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are having to go through all thoses difficulties. I'm glad you have a wonderful husband who takes care of you and gives you the strength you need in all of this. Take care, I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you have had quite the time. I love the picture of you and your dh and I am glad he is a rock for you. Weird about the rules about railings and belts on the wheel chairs. I remember my aunt falling badly enough out of her wheel chair to need stitches. My prayers are with you mil for her continued recovery, and I am glad you have you mom home now and out of the cold. It is a beautiful urn. I am sure you have lovely memories to keep you both warm. I hope your blood tests are back in the normal range. Man, life is not for the faint of heart, eh? I love your sock picture. It looks like a beautiful red heart. Take care of yourself this week. I will be thinking of you and I hope you get a little time to sit and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous picture of you and your husband? It's also lovely to see the pictures of your family, it looks as though you have all been there for each other. The urn is beautiful, and I can see why you wouldn't want your mum in the cold, I wouldn't either. Hopefully this is another good week, love the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo of you and your husband - shows a very comfortable intimacy!

    Your mom's urn is lovely. I'm relived for you that the ME concluded his investigation and the drama is behind you. Now hopefully you can grieve in peace and recall happier times with your Mom.

    Sounds like your MIL is a fighter! I hope she recovers enough to gain more independence. My Mom lived for many years in assisted living which was way mor fun than full nursing care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe all you have gone through these past few months! You ARE a rock! I love the urn too...so beautiful with the butterflies. that is a great picture of you with your husband...you are both photogenic for sure! I wish your MIL the best and God bless her and her fighting spirit! Being surrounded by family does help when you are going through stressful times and I am so glad your RA hasn't flared up! I hope you get some rest and some quite time...both you and your husband. We're about on par with our socks. Take care and TTYL! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rails can't be used on the side of a bed in a nursing home? That sounds kind of crazy to me. If I was prone to falling I'd sure welcome them, I'd think. How good to see pictures of some of your family. And you and your rock! You all look like you had a much needed good time. That's cute about counting the half years after 90. I never thought of it like that, but I imagine it's true that half a year is worth noting. :) I'm glad you've got your mom's ashes and that that gives you rest. I can only imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marsha :) You and your rock of a hubby look so cute together, I love the photo! And the feeding frenzy lol...love that one too. I'm glad you were able to have some fun. And I'm so glad that you got your Mom home to you. The urn is so lovely. Your poor Mother-In-Law falling like that, that seems wrong not to have the protective rails.

    Your sock looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy is your MIL determined; how feisty she is. I'm sorry though how she's getting hurt in the process and I'm sorry you have so much to think and worry about. Great pic of you and your man. I'm glad you've had some smiles and fun. Your mum's urn is pretty. I'm thought it lovely how you thought about her and how you hated her being in that place and this and that. Hugs to you. I'm not doing YOP anymore but I've added your blog to my Bloglovin' reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.