YOP LIST 2023-2024

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

May Day

Image result for may day

Happy May Day.  Do you remember leaving May Baskets on the door steps of your neighbors?  When I was child (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), mom and I would make May Baskets out of pretty colored construction paper, put a few pieces of hard candy in them and top them off with some pretty flowers from our garden. 

Image result for may baskets

I would go and lay it on the doorstep of our neighbor and knock on the door (or ring the bell) and then go and hide to watch the face of the recipient.  It was so much fun to be a secret giver.  When my Mom moved to Arizona, I had our local Grand Daughter continue the tradition of the May Basket.  My Mom loved it so much and it brought back so many lovely memories for her and I.  

Today is also a special day for Catholics.  May is the month of Mary.  Today, the school children have a crowning of the Blessed Mother during Mass.  Our Grand Daughter sang the Psalm during Mass today.


She did a lovely job of it.  It is not easy to get up in front of your entire school as well as parents and other people of the congregation and sing.  We are quite proud of her.

Since we had to get up early to make it to Mass, I now have extra time today to do an update AND some crocheting.  

Yesterday I finally completed hubby's socks.


Nothing else got attention since Sunday.  I was getting tired of seeing these things hanging out by my chair and staring at me.  Hubby is quite happy to have another pair of socks in his drawer.


Well, they were in his drawer until this morning.......he wore them to Mass today.  I truly love the Hermione Everyday Sock pattern.  It gives the sock some interest and keeps me a bit more alert than plan vanilla socks.  It also, does not disrupt the self striping feature of the yarn.

Today, I am going to concentrate on my Mimic Shawl.  Fingers crossed that it will be completed by this weekend.  I truly want to move on to something else but refuse to cast on anything until the shawl is completed.

I did find an interesting idea on Facebook the other day.  It made me think of one of my fellow YOPers, Becki of Field Lilies fame.


Becki, makes beautiful doilies.  Isn't this a wonderful way to showcase them?  Make a table runner with them!  I have just a few of the doilies my Grandma made and was thinking of doing this with them.  They would be so pretty on my dining room table with my candles on top of them.  Hmmmmmm.

I best get busy on that shawl.  Today, I am picking up the grand from school.  Tonight, the grand, her mom and I will be going to her high school for a welcome BBQ.  I will not get much time to work on the shawl then.  

Until next time...........happy crafting!


8 comments:

  1. Happy May Day to you as well. Our school always celebrates May Day with May pole dancing and flower crowns and sometimes strawberry shortcake too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never heard of this May Day tradition of leaving flowers, and you’re the 2nd blog I’ve read today that mentions it. Other than us having a Bank Holiday on the 1st Monday in May there’s nothing special done up here. I think in south of England the schools maybe do Maypole dancing...not sure though. I love the flowers to neighbours idea. Love the table runner from doilies idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of your May Day tradition but I am aware of May and Mary and crowning her - being raised Catholic I went to Catholic grade school and we always had the ceremony! But in this area I don't think they do that any more so I had forgotten about it. There are so few catholic grade schools now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to your niece on her performance in front of an audience so large. What a neat tradition that May Day one. I actually have never heard of it before. Learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated May day wishes Marsha to you and I love the continuation of a tradition, it creates such wonderful memories. Love the idea for the doilies and it looks so pretty!
    Here in Ireland May the 1st is most celebrated as the festival of Bealtaine and the tradition of decorating trees...May Tree and usually a hawthorn one...still survives particularly in rural parts. The trees would be decorated with all manner of things and at the end of the day the tree would be burned and heralds the start of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tradition - we do not have anything like that here. Well done to your granddaughter for getting up and singing, it must have been very scary. I love your husbands socks - well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never did May Day baskets but that's probably because my Mother was a career woman and not crafty at all. Yay for the socks! They are a great colorway. Congrats to your grand-daughter....that does take courage. The doily idea is darling. I don't have that many but they will be in my next year's YOP list for sure! Enjoy the barbecue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you make good headway with your shawl! The BBQ at school sounds fun, never knew people did that. I LOVE the May Day tradition, but have never heard of that. What a cute way to welcome in spring...though it would be easy around here not to have any flowers yet given our weather. Your hubbies socks look awesome, glad he's so happy to wear them. Right you are, it's not easy to get up in front of people and sing. My DD used to do that in school and church, so I know what you're talking about. As an adult, she still does. I think kids who perform in front of others have a certain way they carry themselves. I think it makes them have more confidence in themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.