YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, February 4, 2018

WEEK XXXII




Did you notice what I did there in the title of this post?  That is in honor of today being Super Bowl Sunday here in the States.  Will you be watching it?  I know we will.  We are cheering for the Eagles this year.  Since we lived in the Philadelphia metro area for 4 year, we kind of consider the Eagles one of 'our' teams to cheer for.  Hubby will be smoking some chicken wings and I have made a few snacks for us to enjoy our game watching with.

Football is also the perfect time to be working on some sort of yarnie goodness.  Today I will be focusing on:



Hermione's Everyday Socks.  As you can see, I only did about 8 rows since last week's update.  Those rows were all done late last night just before I went to bed.  The poor sock has sat idle in my project bag all week.  Why, you ask?

This is why.


I completed the Mrs Hughes' Faroese Adventure shawl on Friday night.  That thing is huge!  I can take the front ends and wrap them around my middle and they can tie in the back! (I am not a small person either)  I even cut the pattern shorter than it was supposed to be.  I should have done another 5 inches on this and then added a picot edging.  Not being a fan of picot edges, I was going to opt out of that anyway.  I was just done with this shawl by the time I got to where I was and just decided to end it.

As soon as I completed this shawl, I wanted to find another crochet shawl pattern to work on.  I needed one that would use more of my worsted weight yarn.  That yarn makes a pattern go so much quicker.  I found a pattern and took off with it.



I started this late Friday night and finished it Saturday morning.  It took about 10 hours total to complete.  It is the perfect size too.  On me, it hits me right at my elbows and is just about to my waist in the back.  This is the "To the Point" pattern and is free on Ravelry.  It used about 550 yards of worsted weight yarn and a size I hook.  I will be making many more of this pattern.  It has just enough interest to not be boring but not so much that you can not watch TV or have a conversation while doing it.  I have seen this done in the 'cake' yarns and it is really pretty too.  I have some variegated yarn that is screaming to be used and I might try that yarn on this too.

I am going to try and search today for the tutorial on how to do the chain 3 turn with out doing the chain 3.  It makes for such a nicer looking edge.  I have always wanted to give it a try and with this pattern, it would be so much nicer looking.  If any of you know where to find that tutorial, let me know in the comments section.

Hubby got home safely on Friday afternoon.  It was a quick trip for sure but we are quite hopeful that we will hear from the Veterans Home this week as to when we can move my Mother in Law up there.  We were informed it will be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.  Fingers crossed for the 2 weeks time frame.

I am still working on getting my mom's funeral arrangements made.  I will be calling her home church next week and talking to the Senior Pastor there.  He never met her but all the pastors that did know her are not available for the time frame we have for the funeral.  Just another little fly in the ointment around here.  I am quite hopeful her financials will be completed by the end of this month so I can close out all her accounts and get that out of my hair.  I guess I am not a very patient person.  I just thought this would go much smoother than it did.  

Just in case you are wondering................our weather here is gorgeous.  We are in the high 70's during the day and in the 50's at night.  I am so loving sitting in my rocking chair on the front porch and enjoying this lovely weather.  I have decided I  need a cushion for the seat of the chair.  After about 30 minutes, my behind starts to complain about the hard wood it is sitting on.  There is a place here in town that sells outdoor cushions at a great price.  I will be heading there this week to pick up a couple of them.

That is all for today's post.

Until next time........................Happy Crafting!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha :) Enjoy the Superbowl and the wings!! I used to watch a lot of Canadian football, but gave up the television many moons ago. Your shawls both look beautiful and I love the colour of the socks!

    Closing up your mom's finances must be tough. The whole process hasn't been easy for you, it shows how strong you are! I hope it's smooth sailing from now on.

    Good idea for the seat cushion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the Super Bowl and the snacks. I have to admit I find the intensity of football fandom in the US baffling. At the same time, I should add that I find intense hockey fandom here in Canada equally baffling. Each to her own :)

    Your "To the Point" shawl is stunning, and wow, started and finished in less than a day! That's light speed!

    Sorting out my Mom's finances took just over a year. It didn't help that she had a cash back credit card.... many many phone calls to VISA to get that sorted out. The bank was also spectacularly unhelpful. It did help that me co-executor brother is also a lawyer and my Mom had a detailed will so that helped to cut through a lot of red tape. I hope you can get everything sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weather update makes me so jealous - we have had rain for weeks and weeks and weeks. I love your shawl - that crocheted one is amazing. I noticed your super bowl reference right away. Happy watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Farose shawl is dynamic! Like a bird of prey with super eyesight and supersonic speed of flight about to swoop down and snatch up its prey. I can't believe you whipped out the pink shawl too! I hope the Eagles win although I'm not a football kind of gal. We're leaving in 55 minutes to go up to the city to hang out at my mum's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for following my new blog on Bloglovin. ^__^ I appreciate your sweet support.

      Delete
  5. Marsha, both of your finished shawls are beautiful. And you finished the To The Point within two days?!? Amazing!

    I don't know if this first comment is helpful, but I find that 3 chains is just to high for me to use as a starting chain in a row of double crochets. I almost always use 2 chains.

    But another thing I'm doing more is using a chainless starting double crochet. There is a tutorial on this page: http://www.mooglyblog.com/chainless-starting-double-crochet/.

    I also like to use Standing Double Crochets when starting a round with a new yarn. Here is Tamara's tutorial for that: http://www.mooglyblog.com/standing-double-crochet-joining/

    Your weather reports just make me crave spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shawls are stunning, well done! And the socks are such a beautiful colour. I hope you enjoyed the superbowl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.