YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, August 6, 2023

WEEK 6

 


Hello again.  I have lots to talk about today so let me get right to it.

I was so hoping to finish the RCR sock this week and got fairly close.


If all goes well this week, it should get completed.  I need to make another pair ASAP too.  A reminder was given to me this week that I had promised a pair to my SIL over a year ago.  OOPS!  Luckily, she has very small feet so they should go quickly.

The 'Car Sock' is moving along.................slowly.


The progress keeper tells me I added many rows to this.  My mind tells me there are many, many more rows to go even before the heel.  Now I know why I dread making hubby long socks.

I do have one finish though


The requested item to hang in Josie's car.  I actually made the strawberries twice.  The first ones were a much darker pink.  After re-looking at the photo she gave me, I decided to go ahead and remake them in the paler pink color.  For reference, here is the photo I had to go on.



Pretty darn close, right?  They were a fun and quick crochet project.  I made them in DK weight yarn even though the pattern called for worsted.  I am glad I did as they are plenty big for that mini cooper she has.  This was the first time I had ever done an i-cord in crochet too.  After 50 years, I am still learning new things in that art form!

Do any of you remember this cross stitch?


This has been one of those languishing WIP's.  It has been on my list since 2020.  The last time I posted about it, I had barely done anything on it.  Well, I pulled it out this week and decided I need to try and work on it at least 30 minutes each week.


It is very slow going though.  There are 30 colors in the item and because of copious amounts of shading it takes quite a bit of patience and a lot of color changes.  Just in the small section I have completed, there are 18 different colors used.  It will be gorgeous when completed.  I still need to add some of the accent items to this section before I move on to the next section.  (French knots, beads and gold metallic stars)  

Now, for the story behind the above cross stitch.  Back in early 2000's I was asked to make a shawl for one of my daughter's friends and in exchange she would do a cross stitch for me.  At the time I was unable to work on cross stitch because of some severe hand issues.  I jumped at the chance as I had already purchased a cross stitch kit and was sad because I was not able to work on it.  I made the shawl for her and she decided she could/would not do the cross stitch for me so she sent it to my daughter to work on.

I love my daughter but she has ADHD and can not stay focused on a project for any great amount of time.  She did work on it for a bit and then put it away until she felt she could give it more attention.  Well........................guess what.  During that time, she got married, moved and put lots of her things in boxes until she and her hubby could take the time to go through them.  

About 5 years ago, I asked about the cross stitch kit as now I was able to once again work on cross stitch without difficulty.  She told me she would find it and get it to me.  I realized it was probably buried deep within the recesses of her home and it might never be found again.  So, I purchased the above kit to make instead.  All I could remember about the 'lost' kit was Mary was wearing red and held the baby Jesus.  (hence the reason the above kits was purchased)

This past Thursday I got a phone call from my daughter to inform me she had found the cross stitch kit!  I was ecstatic and asked her to get it to me as soon as she could so I could work on it.  Here is a photo of the item I have been waiting for.


This is titled "Madonna and Child" and is a painting by Marianne Stokes.  All I could remember about it was, Mary was wearing red which is so unusual.  Mostly you see her either in all white or in blue and white.  

There has been a little bit done on the piece.


It shouldn't be to hard to figure out where it is at on the pattern.  (I hope)  I have been talking about doing a full coverage cross stitch and this will be my chance.  I may decide to go buy new aida cloth and start the whole thing over.  Depends on if the DMC colors are given on the color sheet or not.  I did look to see if this kit was still available only to discover it has been discontinued. I was able to find 1 kit but it was $213!  For that price it should be completed, framed and hung on my wall!  I think I only paid about $35 for the kit.

Since these are both going to be long process WIP's, I will only update them periodically so as not to bore you.

The only other thing I did this week, which I have not done in a while, is make an actual loaf of sourdough bread.


I found a recipe on King Arthur's website for 'Easy Everyday Sourdough Bread' and thought I would give it a try.  I have not had the best of luck with making actual bread so was quite pleased when this turned out so well.  It was VERY easy to make and I will be doing it again when this loaf is gone.  It also has a very strong sourdough flavor to it, which makes me even happier.  It is a mixture of white and pumpernickel flour.  Next time I am going to do all white to see if it will be a bit less dense.

Today, I am going to go to "As You Wish" self painting pottery place.  This is what Josie wanted to do for her 'friend' birthday party.  She had one spot left and wanted to know if I would go with them.  Well, of course I will!  Her friends are so much fun to be around and I love to paint pottery.  I feel honored to still be included in her 'fun' activities.

That's it for today.

Until Next Time.............................Happy Crafting!!!!!!!!!!!!






6 comments:

  1. What a treasured time with your granddaughter! I'm so glad when folks appreciate the very special moments they get with kids and grandkids. We enjoyed a loaf of fresh made french toast to go with a veggie casserole hubby made. AMAZING!! Homemade is so much better than store bought. Looks like you have 2 beautiful Madonna cross stitches to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 30 minutes of stitching a day does help move projects along. It will be difficult with the color changes. Both pieces will be stunning when they are complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those Madonna cross stitches are lovely. You make me wonder if I could sit myself down and cross stitch for 30 minutes every DAY. I might actually accomplish something and find myself back in the grove again. Getting started is usually the hardest part for me. I'm sure you enjoyed your time with your granddaughter and her friends. How wonderful to be invited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that cross stitch project! Looks like a long savoring kind of project to me. you can get a lot done in 30 minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cross stitches are EPIC!!
    I love the little strawberry mirror bobbles! Yours turned out SO CUTE.
    Remember, any progress is good progress when it comes to socks!! Particularly when they are rocking those ADORABLE little nun stitch markers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz here, I love the strawberries 🍓 I’m pleased that the cross stitch has been found and I think 30 mins a day will be good on your hands, eyes and get it eventually done. I hope you’ll share your pottery painting, that’s pretty cool to be included as a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.