YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, July 30, 2017

WEEK 5




So, if you didn't notice, July has 5 Sundays in it.  It also has 5 Mondays in it too.  The only reason I mention it is because this is week 5 in our Year 7 YOP and we are still in the same month as when we started.  OK, so maybe you did notice and it isn't something that sticks out to you like it does to me.  That's OK too.  But, if you didn't notice, I am happy to of assistance LOL.

Anyway, the reason we are here is to watch me be boring for the next several posts.  Here is what I am working on.


Sorry about it being bunched up, but those live stitches on each side needed to be on stitch holders or I would be so sad.  

Some of you wondered what was wrong with my previous squares.  Let's see if I can demonstrate.

These are the squares I had to rip out.


See how the outside orange goes all the way to the end the left side but not on the bottom?  That is a problem when doing a 4 square log cabin.

This is what needed to happen.


The orange needed to go completely to the edge on both sides in order to make the effect we are going for.  (Light in the middle and dark on the outside.)  Once completed, I will edge it in green to give it a bit of pop on the outer edges.

The other thing I am doing this time a bit different is, I am not tying knots in the yarn until I complete a section of color.  That way, if it needs to be pulled out for any reason, I am not taking the time to get those knots out.  I am weaving in ends as I go also. That will save me time at the end when I am sick of looking at the blanket.

The only other item I will be working on is.....................the Grainne Shawl.  That will be worked on during the Prayer Shawl meetings on Thursday mornings.  As I had mentioned before, I will always have a shawl on the needles or hook.

I have had a few other questions posed to me this week and I am going to take the time to answer them here.  

1.  My new laptop/tablet is Windows 10 based and Android 5.0 (I know that is an old android system, but there is not a 2 in 1 out there that has anything newer)  It is only 10 inches and I really love it.  (Although, I am using our PC for today's update)  Here is a photo of it.


Yesterday, hubby and I went out and I got a bluetooth mouse to go with it.  One of my son's is an IT guy and he is the one that told me about the bluetooth mouse thing.  How nice it is to not have anything plugged into my little computer, no matter how small the ANT is, it would still stick out a bit.  This is much better.  It also makes browsing the internet much easier too.

See the chewed up ruler?  It says "Lefties Rule!"  There is a lefthanded store in Seattle's Pike's market.  I picked up a few things there and this is one of them.  It was also a great teething toy for my boy dog when we first got him.  We were told he was 2 years old and yet he was still loosing baby teeth................want to try that age thing again? LOL

2.  Gluten free, GMO free change in lifestyle.  Our nutritionist did get back to me on Friday and said she would send me her bread recipe.  I am still waiting for that LOL.  I realize she has a husband and 3 young children and am sure her life outside of the office is not all sit down and watch TV time.  I will remind her on Monday about the recipe, if I do not have it yet.  If anyone on here has a GF bread recipe that does not use Xantham Gum please leave me the name or website in the comments.  I do have chia seeds I can use to help hold things together. This is the flour we were told to use for baking (per the nutritionist)


3.  Going out to eat is not hard at all.  Last night hubby ordered smoked wings because they are not breaded in any way.  We can always order salads with grilled chicken on them. There are always lettuce wraps, we can ask for instead of flour wraps.  Many restaurants offer gluten free buns for their sandwiches.  As for the GMO, that is not something we can control in a restaurant setting.  We just try and do our best with everything else.  Order fruit instead of fries or chips.  Or even ask for steamed veggies.  There are lots of ways to go about it.  

I have a girl dog that is not feeling well since Friday evening.  I finally made her some rice and an egg so she would eat.  I know she ate something outside, but have no idea what it was. She started throwing up Friday night and stopped eating and drinking then.  If she is not better by tomorrow, we will be making a vet visit again.  She did eat the rice/egg mixture and that is the first she has eaten since Friday morning. I will give her some more of that again this evening, if she manages to keep it down.  She started drinking water yesterday so I am hoping she is on the road to recovery.  This is the sweetest dog ever and I so hate to see her not feeling well.  She is 11 years old and I know that seems old to many of you but....her breed normally lives to be about 17 to 20.  So you see, she is just middle aged LOL.

That is my update for the week.  I am sure there will be more blogging during the week as I have lots of fun stuff going on this week and will want to tell you all about it.

Until next time..............................Happy Crafting!!!!!!!!!!




9 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info and no I didn't realize there were 5 weeks in July but it did seem like a long time until my SS check was going to arrive! LOL!
    Love your new pc/tablet...the best of both worlds and that is what I will be getting if and when my pc bites the dust.
    Love the info on your new diet and I will be trying to follow in your footsteps as much of that is good for auto immune diseases also. You guys are so smart to go to a nutritionist. Also, those are great tips for when you eat out.
    I see now what you were talking about with the log cabin squares. Are you using a pattern or did you figure it out on your own? I think I have a pattern in that retro BH&G crochet and knitting book. I'll have to go look...not that I will be starting one but just for future reference...lol! Yours is stunning in the bold colors against the black. I am trying to stay with just a few projects so I can finish something once in awhile. I can't wait to see the new shawl. Look forward to all your posts! Have a great week. Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have to redo the log cabin! I do like the look of that pattern - maybe some day I will make one myself! My sister and niece have celiac disease so I am familiar with your learning curve with gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I didn't realize there was so much to think about when knitting up in the log cabin style. It's amazing how the food industry has adapted to those who are allergic to dairy and gluten. It's great you and your husband have good choices to be able to enjoy a meal out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Mahalo for the laugh ^__^. Yes, I need to chill out some. I will enjoy the ohana time for sure. I'm such a perfectionist.

      Delete
  4. Hi Marsha :)) That is a nice laptop! :) Alex has a bluetooth mouse too and he loves it. I'm still using my touch pad, which only works on the left side, but as I mentioned...I fear change lol so I'll live with it! :)

    Here are a few websites for you to check out: Gluten-Free Girl and Gluten-Free Goddess

    I remember using them for lots of recipe ideas and ingredients...though I have to admit I don't know about the Xanthum Gum. I did write to the "Goddess" once and she answered me quite fast, maybe you could ask them for a substitute? Just an idea since they live gluten-free!

    Your log cabin design is really pretty. It's too bad you had to start all over, but I'm sure it's going to turn out really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see your log cabin blanket back on the needles and great idea on weaving in the ends and not tying knots, hopefully you won't need the last thing and the blanket will go smoothly. I hope your dog is better soon Marsha, it's horrible seeing them unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the explanation of your log cabin squares - very good visuals! Sorry about your sick dog - I hope she is on the mend now. I am gluten free and have yet to find a bread that I make that I like so keep me posted on your efforts. I buy Udi bread but I have to stay away from Chia because it doesn't seem to agree with me either. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Five weeks already?!? Somehow it just seems wrong that I'm amazed at how quickly the YOP year flies after only a month. So glad you explained about the log cabin design. I noticed that the colors didn't seem to extend as far in the knitted piece as they did in the diagram, but I couldn't imagine why that was important. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your dog is better by now, it seems worse when they can't tell you what is wrong.
    I see what you mean about the log cabin, better luck this time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.