YOP LIST 2023-2024

Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's a good week (or two)

I didn't get to post last week and I really missed it.  But hubby and I were on vacation in Texas.  (I really like how the people across the pond say it "holiday")  We were so busy getting our grandsons ready for school and helping our son and daughter in law around the house, that we hardly had time to breath.  The 10 days went by way too fast and I miss them so much already.  But I do have a lot of pictures to show you and some FO's as well.  So lets start.  Sit back, relax and just enjoy the show.
While in Texas my Daughter in Law told me she really wanted to make some sofa pillows to brighten up the new couch they had.  So we were able to find some wonderful fabric and we commenced to make these pillows.  I designed and she sewed!  I loved it.

Then she wanted to tie the kitchen in with the family room so we had plenty of material left over so we made a new curtain for her kitchen window.  Again I designed and she sewed.  It was so much fun and a wonderful bonding time for the two of us.

These were our assistants.  From the left is Kiowa Princess and next to her is Chief Finn.  They are quite a pair to have around.  ( I miss them too)


Here is the family I had to leave.  They are so wonderful and really fill my heart with love and joy.  The boy on the far right is the one who received the spider man blanket.  He looked at it and said "cool".  So I think that means he likes it.  The boy/man next to him is our oldest grandchild.  He just graduated from Temple University in Philadelphia and was home for a little R&R.  It was great to see him as it had been 4 years since last we had.  The one on the far left is graduating from high school this year.  He is an avid track/cross country runner and medals quite often in his heats.  The boy next to him is starting middle school this year.  He is special because I got to be in the room when he was born. 

Here is a hat I finished while on holiday.  It matches the scarf I have been working on.  I found the flower at Hobby Lobby and in fact could not decide between this one and.........

this one.  So I got them both.  That way my god daughter can change them out as she wishes.  And as for the scarf.........

It is done also.  It is so soft and cuddly.  I know she is going to love it.  Now I have to wait until the end of November to give it to her for her birthday.  I so want to wrap it up and give it to her now.  Not that she will need it until her birthday, with it being over 100 degrees still.

I also took my socks with me to work on while I was away.  And I did work on them.  I knitted and frogged and knitted and frogged and knitted and am ready to frog again.  For some reason I am not getting the toe right.  I do toe up magic loop socks.  I have made almost 10 pair this way and for some reason I can not manage to get it right this time.  So they are put on the back burner again.

I also have discovered that I need to add to my YOP list.  And here is the reason why.

This is Jadin...................he is 11 and the one going into middle school this year.  Last year when I visited the family I gave him a really nice beanie that I had made.  He loves it.  I just talked to his mom yesterday and asked her if he would like a scarf to match it since I have 4.5 skeins of the yarn left from the hat.  She said he would love it.  This is where I need help!

I have not made a scarf for a young boy/man before.  I was thinking of using cables in it but don't know if that would be considered girly or not.  I could just do a ribbed pattern all the way up with seed stitches on each end.  I know that a lace pattern is out of the question.  I have looked on ravelry but there are so many and I just can't decide. 

So if any of you have any great pattern ideas for me please let me know.  I have cast on for the scarf and have about one inch of ribbing done on it so far so am ready to start on a pattern now.

Last and not least..................while we were gone I really missed this person...............

This is Josie on her 6th birthday, that was just a week before we left.  I sure do wish there was a way that we all could live closer but that is not to be.  The family in Texas is in the Navy so they go where they are told to.  So until my son retires from the Navy (6 more years) my hubby and I will be happy to go where they are to see them.

Happy crafting.

8 comments:

  1. Irish hiking scarf has cables and is not "girly".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, sewing together! The sofa cushions look terrific!

    All those boys! That must have been fun to see what each and every grandchild was up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome colour in the hat and scarf. I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, and how nice to spend time with your daughter and all the grand-boys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend the waffle stitch. I made one for my sister's father in law last Christmas and received 4 requests from all the other men in my family for one for them. Also, my husband says the honeycomb cable pattern is not too girlie either if you really want to do a cable. I love the green scarf set. Your family is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a Grandma (Mimi)myself, I really enjoyed your post. I am bracing myself for this Fall, when my daughter and son-in-law move to the other side of our state, taking with them my only 2 Grandys. They live 10 minutes away from us right now, and I cry just about every time I think about it.
    How wonderful your relationship is with your DIL--to get to craft together sounds like a blast. My next oldest child will be proposing to the love of his heart, but she is not really the crafty sort. We will see how that pans out over the years though!
    *smiles and happy knitting*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hat and scarf and the flowers look really lovely on the hat.
    I think cables will work if its a nice boy coloured yarn, good and strong in colour. As a mom to an 11 year old boy I'd go with ribbing personally.
    Either way I look forward to seeing your scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh what pretty hat & scarf! I think you made the right choice taking both flowers, they both look wonderful! And I totally understand you want to give it to her now, it's such an awesome gift! I know she will absolutely love you for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know you were here by leaving me a comment or a question. Even a quick hello makes my day and lets me know I am not all alone here.